Friday, January 20, 2006

Bring it In

This is rediculous! I'm in a city with a documented history dating back to the thirteenth century (the 1200s . . . the 12th man . . . there it is) and all I can think about is those dang Seahawks!
"We have ten minutes to get to San Maria dei Servi. You have . . . the wings on your feet, like Hermes, eh? Fly."
- Professor Mauro Mussolin, Art History, approximately 30 yards from the preserved head of St. Catherine, before pushing through our crowd and acroos the naive at a brisk pace. He has a wonderful Italian accent and only stopped smiling to half-whisper the word "fly" as he strided forwards. It was inspiring.

That's the kind of attitude this weekend needs.

Tomorrow morning, as the 12th Man flag flies silent and proud above the Space Needle (I've been reading my SeattleTimes.com), I board the 6:25 bus to Florence that will arrive in the city at 7:40 for a 10:15 flight to Paris, due in at 12:10. Marco Basile, Europe's other resident Seahawk fan - to whom I pale in comparison - will meet me at the bus stop.

I'm in the "capital of the world" for only 51.5 hours, and at least 50 of those hours will be spent discussing the Seahawks.

They go to work at 00:30 Monday morning here.

I just ran the ESPN.com gauntlet of articles, and be warned: there is no love for the boys in blue. There is hatred and spite.

Nothing puts me in a worse mood than hatred and spite. Especially when the weather just got clear but stayed warm like there was cloud cover (I saw the need to write something about Siena. So there it was.)

So as some students head for Pisa for the day, and as some watch AC Milan play at Siena on Sunday, my thoughts will be with you, #12.

This city is beautiful. I wish there was more to tell you now.

Go Seahawks.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(Seattle Times)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I sit here in my room and hear all of the crazy fans screaming with delight, my thoughts are with you (at least a few of them). I hope you got to see the game, and if you didn't, be assured that all the coaching staff and the players thanked number 12 many times over.

5:29 AM, January 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay/fuck.

i guess i'm that much closer to getting a tattoo...wow. i'm gonna have to find a freaking inconspicuous spot on my bod...for the head of a hawk! who am i?

11:48 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Jon said...

Alexandra - Never before have I felt like more of a Seahawk. Thank you for your thoughts. They were thanking you, too.

Kate - You are the 12th Man.

1:38 AM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home